Kingsland road is one of the
oldest roads in England. It is thought to follow the line of Ermine
Street, the Roman road, which connected London with Lincoln and
York. By 1745 it had taken the name of the settlement of Kingsland,
which was sited approximately where Dalston Junction is today. The
growth of London during the Georgian period, Victorian industry,
the coming of the railways and 20th century mass housing have all
transformed the road, as have countless ordinary residents and businesses.
To celebrate the life and times of Kingsland road and publicise
its new status as a conservation area, the Building Exploratory
co-ordinated a series of workshops, and after photographing the
road, exhibited a 25 metre panorama. This resulted in the production
of a photographic walking guide to the road and a multimedia CD-Rom.
This is a taster of the CD-Rom, showing one short section of the
road. To purchase either the walking guide or the actual CD-Rom
click on the “Buy the Panorama’ button.