In the 15th century a house named Copt Hall stood in front of brickfields at the
south end of the eastern side of the road. It was later replaced by small 18th
century houses, and these in turn were cleared for road widening from 1799 onwards.
This end of the road is now largely home to import, export and wholesale businesses
for the clothing and shoe industries.